Northeast Health Wangaratta is committed to providing accessible, safe and inclusive care for all people who identify as living with a disability.
We support people with disability, their families and carers to access the health services and information they need. We work with interpreters and other support services to ensure we provide assistance that respects their needs, culture or diversity.
Our disability support team can:
- Provide support and information for people living with disability who have to go to hospital.
- Provide support and assistance for people living with disability to make and attend appointments for COVID-19 vaccination.
- Act as a link between medical teams, the patient and their family during time in the hospital.
- Attend family meetings to provide support and assistance so that patients and their families can make informed decisions about treatment, prevention and rehabilitation.
- Provide education and promote disability awareness throughout the hospital.
- Help people with a disability to link with other health services.
If you have any suggestions that can help us improve our services we would love to hear from you. You can provide your feedback by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
[lgc_column grid=”50″ tablet_grid=”50″ mobile_grid=”100″ last=”false”]
Disability Liaison Officer (DLO)
Phone: 03 5722 5893
Mobile: 0427 416 960
David is the contact person and advocate within the healthcare system for people with disability. David is the link between local community health services and the hospital.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Support
We have a strong focus on making sure that people with disability can access testing and treatment for COVID-19.
David can help you to:
- Access COVID-19 testing and treatment
- Access and attend COVID-19 vaccination appointments
- Plan for any changes in your care if you were to be diagnosed with COVID-19 or need to self isolate
- Attend your usual health and medical services.
[lgc_column grid=”50″ tablet_grid=”50″ mobile_grid=”100″ last=”true”]
Disability Support Officer (DSO)
Mobile: SMS only 0427 699 570
Monday, Wednesday and Friday – 9.00am to 3.00pm
Tracey is the support person and advocate for patients, staff, volunteers and students with disability at Northeast Health Wangaratta.
- Help you find your way around the hospital
- Help you to understand hospital forms
- Provide reassurance during your day surgery
- Stay with you when your family or carer is not present.
Referrals: Anyone can make a referral to our service, including you or your carer. Please let us know during the admission process, or tell a member of your care team, that you would like to access Disability Support.
Cost: There is no cost for this service.
Your Rights and Responsibilities
You have the right to:
- Be treated with respect and dignity.
- Have access to information about the range of services available.
- Be included in decisions and make choices about your health care.
- Refuse to continue with services.
- Complain about services without fear.
- Have someone of your choice advocate for you.
- Have your personal information kept private and confidential.
You are responsible for:
- The decisions you make.
- Keeping Northeast Health Wangaratta up to date with relevant information about your condition and circumstances.
For more information about your Rights and Responsibilities please visit www.safetyandquality.gov.au